8 May 2015

Recent Kinokuniya Book Haul

Books Kinokuniya in Sydney is one of my favourite places on the planet (as I've probably mentioned before). I feel really lucky to live so close to the only Kinokuniya store in Australia, because it's so huge and has basically everything I could possibly want. I've already been for quite a few visits so far this year, and here's what I've bought on my last couple of recent trips:



Novels: The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan // Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

The Narrow Road to the Deep North is not only the Man Booker Prize Winner from last year, but is also an Australian novel set during World War II. As I'm currently studying Australian Literature at uni and have been wanting to read more critically acclaimed and prize winning writing, this is a perfect place for me to start. And you've obviously heard of Gone Girl (unless you've been under a rock for the past couple of years). I very much stick to a read-before-watching rule when it comes to film adaptions, and all the reviews for Gone Girl that I've come across have been really positive, so there's no excuse for me not to read it at this point.



Comics: Rat Queens Vol 1: Sass & Sorcery // Saga Vol 1-3 // Sex Criminals Vol 2: Two Worlds, One Cop // The Wicked + The Divine Vol 1: The Faust Act // Ms. Marvel Vol 1: No Normal

Most of the comics that I've bought are published by Image Comics (with the obvious exception of Ms. Marvel). I've become a lot more interested in comics recently. I love the combination of beautiful art and great stories, and I think there's too much out there not to read more widely than just super-popular superheroes (which I do love too though, don't get me wrong). I've not read all of these yet, but they all come so highly recommended that I have no regrets at all.


Manga: 美少女戦士セーラームーン完全版1−3、武内直子 (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Complete Edition Vol 1-3 by Naoko Takeuchi)

Despite studying Japanese for years and having been to Japan, I've never actually read any manga in Japanese before now. Luckily for me, Kinokuniya has a really extensive Japanese section. I used to be really into Sailor Moon when I was little, and still have an interest in it, so picked up the first volume on impulse, and have since returned for two more. I do have to keep a dictionary by my side while I read, but they've been enjoyable so far (and beautiful, too).

I hope you enjoyed this haul, and maybe saw something you like!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment