20 Aug 2015

Some Healthy Tips


Somewhere over the past few weeks, I've found the motivation to be healthier deep within me (and I mean deep). My appetite was a complete mess and I just felt a bit "bleugh" most of the time, and I got sick of it.

I've actually really enjoyed being healthier thus far. And when I say 'healthier' I don't mean just physically - mental health plays a huge role in our overall wellbeing and is just as important. If you're wondering how you can make some little, easy changes and ultimately feel better, check out the list below!

1. Don't buy what you don't want to eat: There is nothing worse than the temptation of a packet of choc chip cookies sitting in the pantry. You know you probably shouldn't eat them, but they're just so good. If you want to avoid certain foods that you know you have a major weakness for, make an effort to leave them on the supermarket shelves. It's a lot easier to go without something if you don't have immediate access to it.

2. Try to eat more naturally: One of the things that motivated me to start being healthier was thinking about how many artificial ingredients are in so many of the foods we eat. I'm not saying avoid them at all costs all the time, but there's a certain piece of mind that comes with eating natural things that you know were grown from mother earth. My recent decision to convert back to vegetarianism has really helped me in this, because it's given me twice the reason to stay away from a lot of processed foods.

3. Do some exercise...sometimes: I hate exercise. I really wish I didn't, and I can see why people like it, but it's never going to be something I look forward to. That being said, I still feel really satisfied and happy whenever I do a quick workout. Just stick to doing what you feel comfortable with. Something is better than nothing, and doing some yoga, while it's probably not as good as going hardcore at the gym, is better than just lying there.

4. Don't be hard on yourself: I'm a big supporter of setting yourself schedules and sticking to routines, but I've also had to teach myself to let things go. Sometimes you might have a sore ankle or a cough, and sometimes life just gets hectic and stressful. Make peace with the fact that life sometimes gets in the way. Let yourself have a break and recover instead of getting mad at yourself for not going for a run. Your overall wellbeing is the most important thing.

5. Allow yourself an occasional treat: Sweets and all those things that we love so much are made for special occasions, so when you have reason to, eat some cake! If you've had a really tough day, grab a chocolate bar! If you did really well on that assignment you worked really hard on, snack on some crisps! A healthy lifestyle shouldn't be something you begrudgingly stick to because you feel obligated. It shouldn't make you miserable. Let yourself have some fun every once in a while. A little slice of pie isn't going to bring the world crashing down.

I hope you found some inspiration while reading this (if that's what you were looking for)! Feel free to leave some of your own tips in the comments.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment